Monday, December 31, 2012

Moving into 2013

I don't normally get into the New Year hype, but I figured, this blog is about holding myself accountable, so why not? I didn't really set any goals for 2012 outside of the usual (write more, publish more) but it ended up being a pretty awesome year. Let's recap, shall we?

*Published The Sour Orange Derby, Dungeon, and two Helping Hands books. This was a great year for publishing, and everything that came with it, including meeting some awesome indie authors and joining their group. Raine Thomas, Tiffany King, Sarah Ross, and C.A. Kunz, I'm looking at you!

*Completed two novels - The Never and the next Helping Hands novel. These are written but still in the editing phases, which means they will be released in the coming year.

*Broadened my marketing horizons. I think the FIHA Powwow in the beginning of the year was my favorite, getting to connect with my culture, sell books, and spend time with people who celebrate Native American traditions.

*Started teaching creative writing classes at my Alma matter. Never in my life did I ever think I'd be a teacher, let alone an actual professor, but who could turn down such an opportunity? I've discovered that I actually love teaching, and that I'm pretty good at it too.

*Fulfilled my lifelong dream of being an editor. As a kid I dreamed of working for a publishing house as an editor, but let's face it. I'm not cut out for NYC. That dream took a back burner for a while, but with the help of my writing buddies, the dream has become reality.

So, with all that said, what's on tap for 2013? I figure, 2012 gave me the momentum I needed to really get things going and keep them moving forward. I refuse to let myself go backwards. I've set my goals as follows:

*Publish at least three novels. This will include The Never and the fourth Helping Hands book, as well as the third installment in The Whisper Legacy, Into the Shadow Realm.

*Write my first-ever children's book. I think this will be fun, and certainly different for me!

*Complete the fifth Helping Hands novel and start the fourth and final installment in The Whisper Legacy. That's a lot of writing!

*Build my editing portfolio. Long term, I'd like to just be an author and editor. Gotta start somewhere, so let 2013 be the year of building that business.

*Be healthier. In non-writing-related goals, it's time to be healthy. This means to exercise regularly and eat better. Of course, I won't be giving up my Doritos, but I will try to swap them out for some fruit every so often. Maybe.

*Teach more. I'm hoping to get more classes this summer and fall, and become more of a fixture at the school. I also want to research grants and try to get a writing center going at my university.


Looking at this list overwhelms me a bit. It's a lot to do, and only a year in which to do it. Tomorrow kicks off Day One, so let the adventure begin!

In the meantime, here's a cute picture of Ferguson, the star of my children's book:


1 comment:

  1. You are so super awesome and how did I know Ferguson would be the star of your book. You have done so much this year. I know all your 2013 goals will come true. I have a book I'd like you to help me with.. seriously. I have to at least get one off my plate. Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete