Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Volusia County Literacy Fair


Last Saturday (May 12th) marked the day of this year's annual Volusia County Literacy Fair, held at Mainland High School. This was my second time there, and like last year, I had a great time.

The fair has grown a bit, as last year there were only 3 authors and this year we had as many as 7-8. It made for a more interesting day, as it's always better to share such experiences with more authors. My only complaint is that they put us in a classroom in the very back of the event, whereas last year we were in the front, and as a result I don't think as many people even knew we were there.

But, no matter! I met up with authors Nathan and Stephanie Szerdy from last year and met a group of other indie authors. I always feel like such a newb going to events when I meet other authors. I mean, I've been doing this since I was 15, but I still have so much more to learn and these events remind me of that fact. Book selling is a constant learning and growing process, one that just when you think you have a handle on it, someone tells you something that totally throws you for a loop.

In my case, I was introduced to two potentially career-changing things (career-changing for me in that they will take me beyond my current marketing exposures). I don't have all the details yet (will know more after this weekend), but I foresee great things.

The biggest of these two is an event in Decatur, Georgia, over Labor Day weekend. I haven't looked into it too much but so far, it looks promising. It's the biggest indie author event there is, and is a great opportunity to sell some books. By that time I should have The Sour Orange Derby out, so I'll have 3 titles to sell, possibly through their emerging authors section.

Before I show some pics, I'd like to take a moment to give a shout-out to some of the authors at the fair. They have offered some invaluable advice and are the authors of YA books you should all definitely check out:

Tiffany King (http://authortiffanyjking.blogspot.com/)
Raine Thomas (http://rainethomas.com/)
Adam & Carol Kunz (http://cakunz.blogspot.com/)

And now, a few pictures:




The monkeys kept us company.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely mention, Kristina. It was such a pleasure meeting you at the literacy fair! We're all looking forward to participating next year, as well. Can't wait to check out your books!

    ReplyDelete